Finding stuff to feel good about, more or less....
1. This past week we recognized the anniversary of our D-Day. The day we got the Fragile X diagnosis. It was Tuesday. We talked about it a little, and I did not cry.
2. I saved my crying for Wednesday, when the lead psychiatrist lady told me it'll be nice when my boys are able to say "I want to call mom" to the staff at their group home where they'll live when they are grown. What's so ironic to me is the fact that of all the phrases she could have used as an example, she chose that one. My guys will want to call their mom from the group home. Well isn't that nice. Hey, I'm seeing the humor in it now. (On a more serious note, I am thinking about whether or not to say anything to her about how hurtful and inappropriate and just plain wrong it was for her to say that. I've gotten so much awesome support and love from you about this and I am so grateful for everyone who emailed, called, commented, or even just read this and thought or prayed for us. It's like she deflated my balloon, and you guys came right over and pumped it back up!)
3. This weekend Mark and I are headed to the Dakota County Parent Retreat. It's a weekend gathering for parents of children with special needs, ages birth to 5, who live in Dakota County and are receiving services from the school districts' ECSE (you've heard of ESFE - Early Childhood Family Education - did you know there's also an ECSE - Early Childhood Special Education? I didn't know either, a few years ago.). Our kids have graduated from the ECSE program but we still go to the retreat, because I joined the committee to plan it. It's a terrific day and a half of learning, commiserating, relaxing, bonding, and sharing. We will be facilitating a parent networking group in the morning and then sitting on a panel of special needs parents in the afternoon. Then we get a fancy dinner (read: without children) and a stay over night in a nice hotel! I think we are going to go see a movie after dinner! I am perusing Fandango to see what's playing.
4. Tuesday night was our Mothers of Multiples meeting and it was a spa night -- a night for total relaxation and conversation. It was so much fun, I do love my MOMs! I talked to a few MOMs about our Special Kids, Special Needs subgroup and we have decided to have our own dinner, to meet and share stories and keep each other afloat.
5. No one has thrown up in this house in a whole week now. Well, almost a week. Almost counts.
Feel Good Friday is currently being hosted by Lia Sophia Girl, so if you feel inspired, write down some things you have to feel good about and get on over there to link up.
And to The Girl Next Door Grows Up, the originator of Feel Good Friday, if you are reading this, I miss you and I'm eagerly anticipating your return!