Friday, April 15, 2011
Feel Good Friday - Better Late than Never
Finding stuff to feel good about, more or less....
1. This past week we recognized the anniversary of our D-Day. The day we got the Fragile X diagnosis. It was Tuesday. We talked about it a little, and I did not cry.
2. I saved my crying for Wednesday, when the lead psychiatrist lady told me it'll be nice when my boys are able to say "I want to call mom" to the staff at their group home where they'll live when they are grown. What's so ironic to me is the fact that of all the phrases she could have used as an example, she chose that one. My guys will want to call their mom from the group home. Well isn't that nice. Hey, I'm seeing the humor in it now. (On a more serious note, I am thinking about whether or not to say anything to her about how hurtful and inappropriate and just plain wrong it was for her to say that. I've gotten so much awesome support and love from you about this and I am so grateful for everyone who emailed, called, commented, or even just read this and thought or prayed for us. It's like she deflated my balloon, and you guys came right over and pumped it back up!)
3. This weekend Mark and I are headed to the Dakota County Parent Retreat. It's a weekend gathering for parents of children with special needs, ages birth to 5, who live in Dakota County and are receiving services from the school districts' ECSE (you've heard of ESFE - Early Childhood Family Education - did you know there's also an ECSE - Early Childhood Special Education? I didn't know either, a few years ago.). Our kids have graduated from the ECSE program but we still go to the retreat, because I joined the committee to plan it. It's a terrific day and a half of learning, commiserating, relaxing, bonding, and sharing. We will be facilitating a parent networking group in the morning and then sitting on a panel of special needs parents in the afternoon. Then we get a fancy dinner (read: without children) and a stay over night in a nice hotel! I think we are going to go see a movie after dinner! I am perusing Fandango to see what's playing.
4. Tuesday night was our Mothers of Multiples meeting and it was a spa night -- a night for total relaxation and conversation. It was so much fun, I do love my MOMs! I talked to a few MOMs about our Special Kids, Special Needs subgroup and we have decided to have our own dinner, to meet and share stories and keep each other afloat.
5. No one has thrown up in this house in a whole week now. Well, almost a week. Almost counts.
Feel Good Friday is currently being hosted by Lia Sophia Girl, so if you feel inspired, write down some things you have to feel good about and get on over there to link up.
And to The Girl Next Door Grows Up, the originator of Feel Good Friday, if you are reading this, I miss you and I'm eagerly anticipating your return!
Labels: Feel Good Friday
#youmightbeanautismparentif 2012 in review 9/11 memories ABA therapy Acceptance acronyms advocacy affection aggression AJ Aliza Aliza the playwright All I really need to know... Alphabitty Moments American Girl Ann Coulter antibullying anxiety anxiety in parents of children with special needs apple orchard apps for autism AppSmitten Arbaclofen Arbitrary Thoughts ARC autism autism brushing autism portrayed in TV shows Autism Shines awareness backyard band baseball bath toys beds behavior problems being tall Birthday Boys biting blog change blog hop blogging books bottles brushing bubbles Burnsville Fire Muster bus Cabin Fever in Minnesota candy Carly Fleischmann Carly's Voice cats cats and dogs chewys Chicago childcare for special needs children childhood Children's Museum chocolate Christmas Church circumin clinical trials Clonidine CNN Hero of 2011 coffee communication comparisons computer Conference cost of special education Courage Center Curcumin daddy dance dance competition dance moms Dental surgery dentist developmental milestones diagnosis diapers Diego Disability Day dogs Dolphin Tale Doomsday Preparation Dora Doritos drug trials DVD player early intervention earrings Easter ECSE Parent Retreat electronic gadgets electronics Everything I need to know... Evil Overlord fall falling asleep at school families family fashion fear Featured Feel Good Friday field trip fireworks first day of school Flash Gordon Food Chronicles food issues in Fragile X and autistic children forms forts Fragile Face of God Fragile X Fragile X advocate Fragile X and autism Fragile X Awareness Day Fragile X carriers Fragile X in the news Fragile X presentation Fragile X statistics Fragile X Writers friends fundraiser for Fragile X funniest Funny Gabrielle Giffords Galveston games getting carsick Girls' Night Out Giving Spirit glasses global warming going home Good Morning Great Quotes guest blogs guest post haircuts Halloween hearing test Heaven is for Real hippotherapy holidays Holland Holly home life homework hotel hugging human behavior hyperactivity IEP Meeting IEPs in the news inclusion inspiration integration iPad iPad apps iPad apps for autism IQ testing Jack Jablonski January First Joke journal entry kids with Fragile X and animals Kindergarten Kindle kisses language study learning to talk leaves lemonade stand Lily Little Einsteins losing teeth Mad Gab makeup mall Mall of America marcia braden McDonalds media sensationalization medications Melatonin Miami MIND Institute Minnesota Bloggers Conference minocycline Miracle League monkeys mosquito bites Mother's Day movies MVMOM Used Clothing and Equipment Sale nail trimming names naughtiness neighbors nicknames nightmares normal off topic one thing leads to another online dating Operation Beautiful oral sensory orphan drug act other bloggers Our Wedding outside overstimulation panic attacks parade parental stress Parenthood park Partners in Policymaking penicillin people with disabilities pets pharmacy fun photography Photoshop picnic Pictures pinching pink shirt Pinterest playing outside playing with toys poem politics poop potty training Presents protecting autistic children rash reading to kids research Retreat riding a bike Robin Williams Roger Ebert routine RSS feed RUSH University San Diego Sandy Hook Elementary Santa schedules school school bus school notes school pictures screaming self image self-checkouts sensory Seroquel siblings with developmental delays sick kids sippy cups sleep smile snow pictures Snowstorm social situations speaking of the unspeakable special education special education evaluation special needs kids special needs parents Special Needs Ryan Gosling Special Olympics spelling spoon feeding spring break staying positive stimming Strep STX209 Stylish Blog Award suicide summer Sunday School Sundays sunshine survival mode swimming talking talking to kindergarteners Target teacher's aides Teeth brushing Tegretol Temple Grandin Ten Commandments textbook case of Fragile X thankful thanksgiving that window/mirror thing The Autism Store The R Word the rapid passage of time The Right Things to say to parents of special needs children The Santa Experience the Shedd Aquarium The Twin Thing The Wiggles therapeutic horseback riding therapy This is Autism topless trampoline traveling with special needs children TV twins with special needs Twitter typical Fragile X characteristics typical kids typing vacation Vacation Bible School video games videos volunteering Waisman Center water play way-back-Wednesday What I've Learned What's your song? when a special needs parent dies Wiggles Wii games Winner Winner Chicken Dinner winter wonder Wonder Pets Wordful Wednesday Wordless Wednesday Words of Wisdom World Autism Awareness Day YMCA You Tube Zack Zoloft zoo animals