We recently made our 7000th trip to Chicago, for a follow up appointment for the STX209 drug trial the boys are participating in. We have a good routine in place now to assure success for these road trips, but Zack and AJ would like to throw in a few suggestions of their own.
1. Immediately after your seat belt is buckled, start asking "Hotel?" before your dad even backs the car out of the driveway. Say it at least a dozen times an hour. (Saying "Hotel?" is the Fragile X way of saying "Are we there yet?")
2. Eat enough Doritos and drink enough cran-apple juice to vomit a bright, staining red across the car.
3. (Zack's contribution) if you poop in your pants, pull it out and rub it all around the back of the car, your clothes and hair, and the iPad. Work fast to get as much done as possible before someone looks back at you and screams bloody murder.
4. If possible, hold off on numbers 2 and 3 until you've reached a stretch of highway where there are very few gas stations.
6. The moment you enter your hotel room, begin running around, bouncing on the beds, and stripping off all your clothes to get ready to go swimming. Even if dad hasn't brought the suitcase up from the car yet, you can be prepared by getting naked right away.
7. Less than 10 minutes after getting in the pool, get out, grab a towel to drag behind you, and start for the exit. Don't worry, someone is bound to follow you. Shout out "Bye swimming!"
8. Before bedtime, grind up as many chips and cereal on the beds as you can. Spread the food around and then roll on it.
9. If you can't fall asleep and you get frustrated and overtired, throw all the pillows and blankets on the floor and kick them around, while screaming. Nobody else wants to rest, either, they won't mind.
10. If you wake up in the hotel room and it's dark and no one else is up, a good way to entertain yourself is to sing. Preferrably something by Yo Gabba Gabba, with a bunch of repetitive yelling. If you get bored with that, recite all the lines to the Dora episode where Benny turns into a big potato. That's mom's favorite one, so she will love waking up to it.
That's all they have for now, I'm sure they will add to the list in the future.
#youmightbeanautismparentif 2012 in review 9/11 memories ABA therapy Acceptance acronyms advocacy affection aggression AJ Aliza Aliza the playwright All I really need to know... Alphabitty Moments American Girl Ann Coulter antibullying anxiety anxiety in parents of children with special needs apple orchard apps for autism AppSmitten Arbaclofen Arbitrary Thoughts ARC autism autism brushing autism portrayed in TV shows Autism Shines awareness backyard band baseball bath toys beds behavior problems being tall Birthday Boys biting blog change blog hop blogging books bottles brushing bubbles Burnsville Fire Muster bus Cabin Fever in Minnesota candy Carly Fleischmann Carly's Voice cats cats and dogs chewys Chicago childcare for special needs children childhood Children's Museum chocolate Christmas Church circumin clinical trials Clonidine CNN Hero of 2011 coffee communication comparisons computer Conference cost of special education Courage Center Curcumin daddy dance dance competition dance moms Dental surgery dentist developmental milestones diagnosis diapers Diego Disability Day dogs Dolphin Tale Doomsday Preparation Dora Doritos drug trials DVD player early intervention earrings Easter ECSE Parent Retreat electronic gadgets electronics Everything I need to know... Evil Overlord fall falling asleep at school families family fashion fear Featured Feel Good Friday field trip fireworks first day of school Flash Gordon Food Chronicles food issues in Fragile X and autistic children forms forts Fragile Face of God Fragile X Fragile X advocate Fragile X and autism Fragile X Awareness Day Fragile X carriers Fragile X in the news Fragile X presentation Fragile X statistics Fragile X Writers friends fundraiser for Fragile X funniest Funny Gabrielle Giffords Galveston games getting carsick Girls' Night Out Giving Spirit glasses global warming going home Good Morning Great Quotes guest blogs guest post haircuts Halloween hearing test Heaven is for Real hippotherapy holidays Holland Holly home life homework hotel hugging human behavior hyperactivity IEP Meeting IEPs in the news inclusion inspiration integration iPad iPad apps iPad apps for autism IQ testing Jack Jablonski January First Joke journal entry kids with Fragile X and animals Kindergarten Kindle kisses language study learning to talk leaves lemonade stand Lily Little Einsteins losing teeth Mad Gab makeup mall Mall of America marcia braden McDonalds media sensationalization medications Melatonin Miami MIND Institute Minnesota Bloggers Conference minocycline Miracle League monkeys mosquito bites Mother's Day movies MVMOM Used Clothing and Equipment Sale nail trimming names naughtiness neighbors nicknames nightmares normal off topic one thing leads to another online dating Operation Beautiful oral sensory orphan drug act other bloggers Our Wedding outside overstimulation panic attacks parade parental stress Parenthood park Partners in Policymaking penicillin people with disabilities pets pharmacy fun photography Photoshop picnic Pictures pinching pink shirt Pinterest playing outside playing with toys poem politics poop potty training Presents protecting autistic children rash reading to kids research Retreat riding a bike Robin Williams Roger Ebert routine RSS feed RUSH University San Diego Sandy Hook Elementary Santa schedules school school bus school notes school pictures screaming self image self-checkouts sensory Seroquel siblings with developmental delays sick kids sippy cups sleep smile snow pictures Snowstorm social situations speaking of the unspeakable special education special education evaluation special needs kids special needs parents Special Needs Ryan Gosling Special Olympics spelling spoon feeding spring break staying positive stimming Strep STX209 Stylish Blog Award suicide summer Sunday School Sundays sunshine survival mode swimming talking talking to kindergarteners Target teacher's aides Teeth brushing Tegretol Temple Grandin Ten Commandments textbook case of Fragile X thankful thanksgiving that window/mirror thing The Autism Store The R Word the rapid passage of time The Right Things to say to parents of special needs children The Santa Experience the Shedd Aquarium The Twin Thing The Wiggles therapeutic horseback riding therapy This is Autism topless trampoline traveling with special needs children TV twins with special needs Twitter typical Fragile X characteristics typical kids typing vacation Vacation Bible School video games videos volunteering Waisman Center water play way-back-Wednesday What I've Learned What's your song? when a special needs parent dies Wiggles Wii games Winner Winner Chicken Dinner winter wonder Wonder Pets Wordful Wednesday Wordless Wednesday Words of Wisdom World Autism Awareness Day YMCA You Tube Zack Zoloft zoo animals